BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut – The Beardsley Zoo of Connecticut is proud to announce that its third annual photography competition is open for submissions, an opportunity for the zoo’s many dedicated amateur and professional photographers to submit their best work to the public. The competition, sponsored by Milford Photo, will be a hybrid event this year, combining digital submissions with in-person exposure.
Photos must be submitted digitally for a first round, with the top 100 selected to be exhibited and judged. Photographers selected for the in-person exhibition will be invited to print and wallpaper their photo (8 x 10 format). Judging will take place in mid-September, with an in-person show taking place on Thursday, October 7 in the Hanson building at the zoo.
- Each photographer can submit three photos, with a charge of $ 10 per photo.
- Photos must have been taken on the Zoo grounds. Photos of plants and grounds are permitted. These can be older photos from a previous year as well as current photos.
- Milford Photo will offer the store the first, second and third prizes in the form of gift certificates. The first prize is $ 200, the second prize is $ 100, and the third prize is $ 50.
- In addition to the judged photos, a People’s Choice will be selected. The public can vote for their favorite by donating a dollar for each vote. Voting will take place online.
- Digital photos of the first round must be submitted by September 12 at 11:59 p.m.
- Photographers are invited to upload their submissions on https://www.beardsleyzoo.org/photography-exhibition.html
- For the best quality viewing online photos, the recommended image size is 1088 x 816 pixels with a maximum file size of 1 MB.
“Art is a natural way for people to express their love of animals and appreciation for nature,” zoo director Gregg Dancho said. “Our third Photography goes wild The competition helps showcase the zoo’s amazing species diversity and, we hope, encourages people to focus on preserving wild habitats and conserving animals in a new way.
“We thank Milford Photo for their continued partnership in this event,” he added. “Their help in judging bids and providing prizes is greatly appreciated. “
About Beardsley Zoo in Connecticut
Let your curiosity run free! Connecticut’s only zoo, celebrating its 99e year, includes 350 animals representing mainly species from North and South America and North Asia. Customers won’t want to miss our Amur tigers and leopards, maned wolves, Mexican gray wolves and red wolves. Other highlights include our new Spider Monkey Habitat, Rainforest Building, Prairie Dog Show, and the Pampas Plain with Giant Anteaters and Chaco Peccaries. You can get on the carousel, grab a bite to eat at the Peacock Café, and eat in the Picnic Grove. Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo is a nonprofit approaching its 100e year at a time when the mission to help wildlife populations and fragile ecosystems is more important than ever.
Tickets must be purchased on the zoo’s website at beardsleyzoo.org; guests who take advantage of the Connecticut Free Kids Program must also make reservations online. Per Connecticut State COVID-19 Guidelines: We recommend that guests continue to wear masks when visiting the zoo, but when guests are outside and can maintain social distancing, masks may be withdrawn. In any indoor space, or where social distancing cannot be maintained, masks are required. Anyone over the age of two, except those whose medical conditions prevent them from being worn, should have a mask available.
About Milford Photo
Since its founding in 1995, Milford Photo continues to be the place of choice for photo enthusiasts in Connecticut. From selling the best lines of cameras, lenses and accessories to providing reprints, magnifications, graphic imaging or photo instructions for photographers of all skill levels, the Milford Photo team works hard to provide the best product and service to its customers. www.milfordphoto.com
Photo: First photo from Photography Goes Wild 2020 contest, by Eileen Curnin