An annual fundraiser that benefits students and faculty at the School of Art and Design returns to East Carolina University this week.
The holiday art exhibit is scheduled for today and Saturday in the Gray Gallery at ECU’s Jenkins Fine Arts Center. The hours are from noon to 8 p.m. today and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday.
The event is sponsored by the Friends of the School of Art and Design, who hosted a preview event Thursday evening for members.
Artwork by undergraduate and graduate students as well as art and design faculty members will be available for purchase. Items will include:
- Jewelry – earrings, necklaces, brooches.
- Sculpture – ceramic, glass, metal, mixed media.
- Prints – digital and handmade items ranging from typography and anime / manga style images to landscapes, portraits and imaginary scenes.
- Paintings – large and small, landscapes, from abstract to figurative.
- Photography – black and white, color, landscapes, portrait and abstract imagery.
- Textiles – Hand woven knit and crochet scarves, brooches and wearable textile art.
- Ceramics – mugs, cups, plates, vases, bowls.
- Ornaments, collectible stickers, small figurines, fan art, handmade books and cards are among the other items that will be on sale.
Cash, checks, credit cards and digital transactions will be accepted. The profits go directly to students and teachers. The event is organized by the ECU Art Student Guilds and the Visual Arts Forum.
Blown glass, music
In addition, a blown glass holiday sale will take place on December 2 and 3. Glass ornaments, flowers, vases, cups, bowls and sculptures made at ECU’s GlasStation will be available for purchase at the College of Fine Arts and Communication office at Proctor-Yongue House. on Fifth Street (across from Jenkins Fine Arts Center). Profits will be used to fund the installation and programs of GlasStation.
University supporters – Friends of the School of Art and Design, School of Music, S. Rudolph Alexander Performing Arts Series – etc.) will have the option to shop first from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on December 2 . The public sale is 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on December 3.
In conjunction with the first Friday in December Uptown, CFAC will be hosting an Art Jam with TubaChristmas between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on December 3 at the Proctor-Yongue House. The Merry TubaChristmas show will feature traditional holiday songs arranged for a large ensemble of tubas, baritones, euphoniums and sousaphones.
That same weekend, the ECU Chamber Singers, University Chorale and Concert Choir will perform Sounds of the Season at 7:30 p.m. on December 3 at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Greenville. The event is free and open to the public and face coverings are mandatory. For more information, call 328-6851.